Saturday, September 8, 2012

Just like riding a bike...

Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of riding a bike.  ~ John F. Kennedy
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It started with a day out at Venn Island, Sweden.  They thought I can't....

Last April, we visited some friends in Sweden and part of their programme for us was a visit to Venn Island. 

Rows of cottages at the Venn Island

Venn is a small island situated in the Oresund strait between Sweden and Denmark. The island itself is gorgeous (and historical) and deserves to be featured on its own. To fully explore its environs, the main mode of transport is - you guessed it - bicycles. There's a number of them you can rent for the whole day.


Me with the rented Venn bike...uphill now....:)




Initially, they were all (hubby included) apprehensive that I couldn't handle it. Before Venn, the last time I hopped on a bike is probably when I was in HS (yeah, a long time ago, Ok?!) . But riding a bike is, well, "just like riding a bike"....you never forget! Muscle memory at work there.

The Venn experience cost almost a thousand Euro back  in Vienna. New bike -check! ... Accessories -check!....biking outfits - check!... Motivation - ahh, hmmm... well....

Anyone who knows me well also knows that I hate physical activities (except... :)). I'd  much rather curl up with a nice book or watch tv the whole day. Therefore, taking up biking is a new thing for me. But again, the hubby just wouldn't let me out of this especially after buying all those nice biking outfits and accessories - the full biking regalia, as they say.
 
So, it began.....


Exploring Vienna's charms with a bike...
Biking in Vienna is a delight.  Dedicated lanes for bikers are everywhere and routes are especially made accessible for enthusiasts. Bike tours are being offered for tourists as an alternative to see the sights. Bike paths allow the rider an opportunity to appreciate the wonders and charms of Vienna and its sorrounding areas. There really is no reason NOT to bike in this city.

Finally, I found one physical activity I think I can handle. I love the feel of the sun on my skin, the cool breeze on my face, the artistry of the passing scenes while I bike. For a few minutes, it's between you and the pedal - your mind is at peace, your soul cleansed. Sorry for waxing poetic but if only life is "just like riding a bike" ..... *sigh* (Note: the promise of a nice meal after is a plus :))


And of course,  nothing beats having that someone special for company....


Biking made more special....(and bearable!)