Saturday, January 7, 2012

I write...

This was written back in February 2006 while I was in Japan and is being shared to basically fathom why I write..
___________


It’s been a while since I’ve last written anything of substance… and I am not about to start now…he..he..he..

You know, back in high school, I thought I would make a great writer – a Palanca awardee. Yes, right, THAT sort of writer. Obviously, I did not become one – a great writer, I mean.  I DO write about anything and everything, though,  which I guess, make me a writer.

I write about everyday mundane things -the breaking of dawn bringing a new day, new hope, the setting of the sun sharing its calm and tranquility to our otherwise harried lives,   the coming of rain refreshing the soul.  I write about taking a jeepney ride and rejoice in the knowledge that in life you chose your directions. I write about household chores,  about brushing my teeth, watching tv….

I write about people – about families and the ties that bind them, about life partners and the serendipity involved in meeting them. I write about children and the innocence of their questions.  I write about teachers and the nobility of their profession. I write  about manong magbobote,  my nosy neighbor, my feisty nephew…

I write about emotions – about love conquering all, about unbridled passion, about mastering fear. I write about beautiful sadness, about brimming joy. I celebrate pain and happiness in my writings.

I write about  events -  of  the birth of a baby, the metamorphosis of a sweet child into a young lady, of walking the aisle in pure bliss, about aging gracefully and welcoming the bittersweet call of the end. Yes, I write about LIFE but have never fully grasped the mysteries of it.

I write about places - the charm of Europe, the grandiose of Britain,  the mystery of Asia. But most of all, I write about HOME.

I write about science and engineering – of photocatalysis , advanced oxidation and reaction kinetics – because these I write to put butter in my bread.

I write about topics all writers seem to write about.  Thus, I expound on taking risks and paid my respects to the turtle who can only make progress by sticking its head out. I write about success and appreciated the vast and differing insights on it. I write about politics and realized how boring it really is.

I write about how I rejoice in my writings.  No matter how profound or meaningless they are.  I bask in the quietude of the moment when I write.  I pour my thoughts out and what come out mirrors my soul. I feel alive when I write.

Then came text and e-mails.... and I fear for writing.